Monday 4 May 2009

Swearing

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2008/apr/14/dowecareaboutswearinganym
Pretty much everyone does it. Some words in fact used to not be 'swear words.' Although I have to say I think there is a time and a place for bad language. Examples being quietly at the pub with mates, or sitting with friends at home. Swearing when in the presence of children or respected elders, such as grandparents or when in the office, is completly inappropriate.

This web page, courtest of the Guardian newspaper, asked five media industry insiders their opinions on bad language. I agree very much with Stephen Whittle, ex-director of the Broadcasting Standards Commission. We all swear different amounts, some not at all, some fail to string a sentence together without fitting a swear word in between every other word. It is important though to have manners and respect for the wishes of other people and only swear around those who you are sure are willing to accept such bad language.

Nicky Campbell, presenter of Five Live breakfast and Watchdog, points out the constant swearing on national TV of Gordon Ramsey, also criticising the heavy-handed manner of the swearing rather than the actual swearing itself. I feel that Ramsey should try to tone down his language to avoid causing offence. Many people regard him very highly, myself included, and he and others such as Madonna, also mentioned in the article, should realise that they are role models to many young people in this country. I think this is one of the reasons why swearing has become more popular amongst young people in this country, as many people see idols doing it, footballers being another example.

Although I must admit to swearing myself, I do try to tone it down as much as possible and avoid it completly when in the company of children or elders. It is important to respect the feelings of other people as many people find it a disgusting habit and can form opinions on people due to their choice of vocabulary and I don't think it gives a very good impression. I hate to see children swearing as I feel this goes against the innocence a child should have and they are too young to understand how distasteful it is and looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment